Eighteenth-Century Artifacts Uncovered in Michigan

MACKINAW CITY, MICHIGAN—UpNorthLive reports that excavators working at Mackinac State Historic Parks have uncovered a heart-shaped ring, a sleeve button made of glass or crystal, a gunflint, a plain pewter button, a plain brass button, and part of a bone knife handle at the site of a house at Colonial Michilimackinac, a fort first established by French traders and missionaries on Mackinac Island. The house was home to Charles Henri Desjardins de Rupallay de Gonneville, and later, after the fort was occupied by the British in 1764, was occupied by an English trader who has not yet been identified. Curator of archaeology Lynn Evans said the sleeve button, which is engraved with a classical-style bust, dates to the British period. To read about shipwrecks in the Great Lakes’ Thunder Bay, go to “Shipwreck Alley.”

Michigan Michilimackinac Intaglio

(Mackinac State Historic Parks)
This article was originally published in Archaeology.org on June 30, 2020.

Published by Jules William Press

Jules William Press is a small press devoted to publishing the best about the Viking Age, Old Norse, and the Atlantic and Northern European regions. Jules William Press was founded in 2013 to address the needs of modern students, teachers, and self-learners for accessible and affordable Old Norse texts. JWP began by publishing our Viking Language Series, which provides a modern course in Old Norse, with exercises and grammar that anyone can understand. This spirit motivates all of our publications, as we expand our catalogue to include Viking archaeology and history, as well as Scandinavian historical fiction and our Saga Series.